||Faculty The Humanities
Dean (contract appointment: 5 years)
ABSA Insurance and Financial Advisers (Pty) Limited, Acsis Insurance Limited, FedGroup insurance Life Limited, Investec Insurance Life Limited, Just Retirement Life Insurance (S.A.) Limited, Santam Company, Old Mutual Insurance Company, Discovery Insure, Virseker Insurance Company, Outsurance Company, MiWay Insurance Company, Discovery Insurance, Insurance Momentum, AA Insurance, Outsurance, Dial Direct, Auto and General, King Price, 1st for Women, Virgin Money
The Dean is responsible for providing intellectual, academic, managerial and administrative leadership to achieve the UFS strategic goals at faculty level.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Lead and manage the Faculty of the Humanities in relation to its undergraduate and postgraduate programme offerings, its research production and its community engagement activities.
- Manage budget within the context of academic and strategic planning of the UFS.
- Manage all staff-related matters in the Faculty.
- Participate in the academic governance of the university through Senate and its committees (The dean is a member of Senate, the Executive Committee of Senate and the Academic Planning and Development Committee of Senate)
- Participate in the management of the university through relevant committees (The dean is a member of the University Management Committee).
- Liaise and build partnerships with relevant external bodies and associations both nationally and internationally.
- Liaise with relevant external stakeholders (parents, schools, alumni, employers).
- The Dean reports to the Vice-Rector: Academic.
- A doctorate in the Humanities.
- Five (5) years’ experience of management of a sizable academic unit.
- Proven academic record.
- Appointable as professor at the University of the Free State.
- Proven commitment to transformation and social justice at curricular level.
- Proven leadership ability and managerial experience.
- Sound financial and operational management skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Rating as researcher with the National Research Foundation (NRF).
Term of office:
Five (5) years, with the possibility of reappointment for a further term.
Assumption of duties:
1 January 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
29 September 2017
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act.
Candidates must be prepared to participate in an approved appointment procedure that will include the following:
- Probing of management profile.
- Interview by a selection committee.
- A public appearance before the Faculty of Humanities.
- Making available certified copies of degree certificates; must not object to confidential referee reports being requested.
Applications accompanied by an abridged (maximum two pages) as well as a comprehensive CV, a declaration of intent (vision for the position), names and contact details of at least three referees, as well as certified copies of degree certificates, must be addressed to Rika Gruss, Academic Partners, email: email@example.com or fax no. 086 631 5571.
MJ Mothiba Attorneys (Polokwane), De Waal Inc. Attorneys (Durbanville), Roy Ramdaw and Associates Inc (Johannesburg), HJV Attorneys Inc (Waterkloof), Maleham Attorneys (Gillitts), Robberts Attorneys (Emalahleni)
Please indicate the reference number and the post you are applying for on your application. Applications with no reference number will not be considered.